Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default un-kinking a bandsaw blade?

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:12:46 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:08:21 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

I wouldn't bother trying to fix a kinked blade for $15...

I kinked one at the weekend.

I was roughing out bowl blanks for turning and the green hornbeam was
being particularly troublesome and grabby, so I was sawing off a series
of triangle with straight cuts, not trying to force a big blade around a
tight radius. I didn't realise there was a triangular offcut lying on
the table underneath the bowl until the blade caught it. It grabbed the
wedge-shaped offcut and rammed it down into the throatplate, jamming the
whole saw solid. The Tufnol throatplate smashed in two and the 1/2"
blade managed to kink front-to-back (yes, edge-on) as well as sideways.

I don't think there's any way to de-kink that one.
.

wow! I'm just glad that you didn't get hurt when it jammed!!

I was cutting some ash blanks this morning and it was scarey when you cut the
circle and the bottom face of the blank is a lot smaller than the top face, and
you can see naked blade between the wood and table..
Just waiting for it to try to push the edge of the blank against the table and
jam up, but got lucky and cut 4 blanks with no drama..
(no drama, no trauma!)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing