Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del

Default RCA DTV30X=Edsel

wrote:

Yup, I could imagine toolin on down the road in an old Edsel, probably
rode good. Got about 10 more local channels using a regular antenna,
yup it was really cool while it lasted. Literally sheer minutes of
enjoyment are possible with technological marvels. Actually what is
marvelous is that any of them ran long enough to get sold.

Great rant, Jeff. I'm sure you feel better!!

Anyway, although I have to nitpick one of your examples, the Edsel was
a bomb for different reasons.

It wasn't so much a lemon as it was simply the wrong car at the wrong
time. This high end brand launched during a recesssion, when dollars
for premium automobiles was scarce. The styling was another problem.
I don't know anyone (including current Edsel owners) who think the car
is attractive in the least. Mechanically, it was an average car.
Although it has a reputation as a lemon, it was no less reliable than
any other car, nor more difficult to repair. It was overweight, and it
used much of the suspension and brakes of the other Fords, which made
for substandard braking and handling.

An average car with sub standard performance, controversial looks, that
was way too expensive. Definitely a recipe for disaster. And no, I
don't own one!

John