Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Safe wood for kitchen utensils

wrote in message
ups.com...
So, woods to avoid would be black walnut, most of the tropical exotics
especially cocobola and rosewoods, redwood, cedars, etc. Probably
most softwoods, being resinous, would at least tend to add some
undesireable flavors to the food.

Woods that have been commonly used for kitchen utensiils include
orchard woods like apple or pearwood, and also olive, maple,
cottonwood,
beech, birch, cherry.

My favorite is cherry. Maple shows black mildew if the user leaves it
submerged too long, and shows up food colors easily as well.

Nothing with a lot of large pores or extractives used as dyes.

As to resins, some of the best-looking and most durable spoons I've sold -
and have - have been made of tamarack.