Stan Schaefer

Default what is it?

(rick fetters) wrote in message . com...
At this site you will find a picture of a focault pendulum clock that
has a cone shaped piece of metal from a hydroelectric generating
station. nThe metal is 'said' to be really hard, but it has been
abraded/contorted into a very interesting shape. The question
is....what part is it, what was it's function? It is interesting to
note that the very tip shows little deformation/abrasion; could it be
the 'end' instead of the 'point' of an apparatus in the flow of water?
rick

http://www.betrisey.ch/epointe.html

I've got a book on cavitation and cavitational wear, that's definitely
cavitational damage. My off the cuff guess would be that it was part
of the nozzle assembly on the turbine, I've seen drawings of similar
cones hooked to the turbine governers, they move axially in and out of
the nozzle to throttle the water flow. It's amazing what moving water
can do to metal, isn't it?

Stan