rick fetters

Default what is it?

At this site you will find a picture of a focault pendulum clock that
has a cone shaped piece of metal from a hydroelectric generating
station. nThe metal is 'said' to be really hard, but it has been
abraded/contorted into a very interesting shape. The question
is....what part is it, what was it's function? It is interesting to
note that the very tip shows little deformation/abrasion; could it be
the 'end' instead of the 'point' of an apparatus in the flow of water?
rick

http://www.betrisey.ch/epointe.html
Bill K

I think it is the exhaust cone on a water turbine, It's purpose is to reduce
cavitations ?
bill k

Stan Schaefer

(rick fetters) wrote in message . com...
At this site you will find a picture of a focault pendulum clock that
has a cone shaped piece of metal from a hydroelectric generating
station. nThe metal is 'said' to be really hard, but it has been
abraded/contorted into a very interesting shape. The question
is....what part is it, what was it's function? It is interesting to
note that the very tip shows little deformation/abrasion; could it be
the 'end' instead of the 'point' of an apparatus in the flow of water?
rick

http://www.betrisey.ch/epointe.html

I've got a book on cavitation and cavitational wear, that's definitely
cavitational damage. My off the cuff guess would be that it was part
of the nozzle assembly on the turbine, I've seen drawings of similar
cones hooked to the turbine governers, they move axially in and out of
the nozzle to throttle the water flow. It's amazing what moving water
can do to metal, isn't it?

Stan

Peter

"rick fetters" wrote in message
om...
At this site you will find a picture of a focault pendulum clock that
has a cone shaped piece of metal from a hydroelectric generating
station. nThe metal is 'said' to be really hard, but it has been
abraded/contorted into a very interesting shape. The question
is....what part is it, what was it's function? It is interesting to
note that the very tip shows little deformation/abrasion; could it be
the 'end' instead of the 'point' of an apparatus in the flow of water?
rick

http://www.betrisey.ch/epointe.html

didn't some once said that water was the universal solvent!

rick fetters

didn't some once said that water was the universal solvent!

The water didn't dissolve the metal. Cavitation erroded it.

Dave

What size particles are you talking about in the errosion process? By
that I mean what would be the average particle size of the metal as it
leaves the surface of the cone? rick