Posted to alt.home.repair
bee man

Default Roof leak Temporary fixes

Roger Taylor wrote:
"bee man" wrote in message

My asphalt shingle roof (approximately 20 years old) leaks. This is the
roof over the first floor that covers the kitchen, BR closet and bathroon.
I have had leaks into all three rooms. I replaced the black felt and 27
feet of shingles (linear) from the side of the second floor wall outward
about three feet. I installed new flashing up under the old flashing and
re-nailed it. I've used black roofing caulk as well as elastomeric caulk
and have slowed down the leaks but not stopped them. Went back out two
days ago and noticed the bottom corner of the windows were rotted. Since
it was about to rain, I caulked the corners and the area under the
windows. That almost stopped the bathroom leaks. My question is, is
there a temporary fix I can apply over the shingles and the exposed
flashing (6 inches) to act as a water barrier until next spring? I've
looked into Koolseal's elastomeric roof coating but they say it does not
work for asphalt shingles.

Blue tarps will do for awhile.
What is your roof pitch?. With that many leaks, it may be too low a slope
for shingles to work properly. Before you re-shingle next year, you may wish
to check that you pitch is at least 4" per foot laterally, for replacement
asphalt shingles to work properly. You may have to use another type of
permanent roofing system, if you have a low pitch.

Yes, there are lots of blue tarps around here in the Florida Panhandle.
I don't know what the pitch is. Probably not much. I suspect you may
be correct about the too low pitch being part of the problem.