Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Installing bushings

snippage

I'm not convinced you'd find an adjustable 1/4" reamer, but I'm not sure
you'd want to do this job without the use of at least a drill press, if not
a mill.

In order to insure that the holes are properly aligned, and not bell mouthed
because of hand misalignment, it would be in your best interest to not
attempt this by hand. If bushing are to be installed that should be
aligned, boring the holes would be desirable, and for that you don't need a
reamer.

Hope this helps, Rodney. I realize it's not the greatest news, but it will
keep you out of trouble.

Harold.

I've gotten 1/4" adjustable reamers, the ones that are readily
available are the sort that are one-piece with longitudinal slits and
an end tapped for the adjustment set-screw. These are usually what's
available in the smaller sizes, when you can find them. I also have
the multi-blade sort, these took a bunch of working over to get all the
blades to cut and to get a decent finish. The one-piece adjustable
types don't necessarily return a straight hole for your efforts,
they're kind of barrel shaped to start with. The best sort of reamer
for doing multiple in-line bushings is one intended for electric motor
rebuilding, this has a long pilot so you ream one bushing with the far
end supported by the other bushing. A fellow could probably make up
something like this with a lathe, making a D-bit in the center for the
reamer part.

The rule of thumb I've read and have used is .001" interference fit per
inch of bushing diameter, then ream the shaft hole to desired clearance
after pressing in. For under 1", I've always used .001" interference
between housing hole and bushing. A loose fit could be compensated
with one of the anaerobic adhesives they have these days, or just use
the stuff to start with.

Stan