Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Dryer vent

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:05:29 -0500, "Chas12"
wrote:

Hi Gang
Can schedule 40 pvc pipe be used for a dryer vent? AND does anyone know of
a dryer vent hood that actually CLOSES after the dryer goes off? Previous
owner installed one without any kind of damper. No wonder cold air is
pouring into the basement.
Thanks,
Chas

Don't know about pipe, but I've seen vents to the outside with louvers
that open when there is output and close when it stops. I wouldthink
Sears or HomeDepot or any appliance store would have this.

I don't have this, but I have an indoor/outdoor box, and when I have
set if for indoors, which is any time cold enough that I might run
the furnace, the door inside the box goes up and closes off the duct
to the outside vent. It has a removable lint screen to keep lint from
blowing around the basement.

When the door is down, it closes off the output to the inside of the
house and routes everything the outside. No lint screen in that
direction but there is one in the dryer itself.

I think this all works pretty well, but I suppose I should check if
cold air is leaking in. (I'm around there a lot however and haven't
notcied any.).

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.