Posted to alt.home.repair
David Efflandt

Default Furnace losing 24v when heat requested

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:14:23 -0500, Max Metral wrote:
They were indeed remarkably rude. At least most of them, a couple were
helpful.

Anyhow, the main question has now become, if my digital (i.e. needs power)
thermostat says it only requires the following leads connected:

R - 24vac
G - fan
W - heat
Y - cool

Where does it get power when it demands heat, thus shorting (?) G and W to
R? I would assume (standard decomposition of assume applies) that it gets
it from Y staying at ground, and perhaps that's where the fault has
occurred. If not, where else can it pull the power?

If the thermostat does not have batteries, you may need to connect the
other side of the transformer to C (common). Some thermostats I got for
our warehouse need that if you want to use them without the batteries
(although I think that is just mentioned, not shown in wiring diagram).