Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default I'm trying to make a turned heated bird bath.

Greg G wrote:

Or possibly I'm just a very unpleasant person. ;-)

Awwww... I doubt that. It is indeed hard to find out what the intent
is of the email from time to time. From time to time I am fooled by
postings that use a different vernacular or phrasing than I am used to.
I know when I am having a bad day, or someone hits on a pertinent
subject that is ****ing me off, I am liable to take it either the wrong
way, or maybe take it too far. Notice I DID NOT say you, but I will
say that I do that on occasion.

I have seen on every group I have participated in where things get so
out of hand on things like defending Norm from NYY, Lee Valley, that
people will put in writing things that they would never say face to
face. The wouldn't be that rude or stupid. On the other hand, they
may not feel the need to say them if they have the benefit of tone,
inflection, and a wry grin.

I participated for quite a while in the rec.woodworking ( I assume this
is your reference to the Wreck) and they got so mean and ****y that it
simply wasn't worth it. I have been a professional contractor and
woodworker for over 25 years, and I just didn't feel like I needed to
listen to some moron that got the new Time Life book on trims tell me
how screwed up I was, then scream like he was on fire if I told him he
was wrong. You are right, things get nasty over there fast. And the
hell of it all is they are quite proud of it. They think it is a
private club, and you must obey those who post the most since it is
their private playground. I didn't read or participate with that
group for years, and never missed it. Only spotty now. Same happened
with alt.coffee. Both are used now for archive sources, where they can
still kick ass.

For most people, including a great deal here and no the wreck,
woodworking is a hobby. Even though it is a profession for me, I try
not to wieners bother me. At the young age of fifty, having been self
employed for 25 years, I have learned that most people do not care
about my opinion, and in many cases, I don't care about theirs. With
that in mind, unless it gets insulting, I usually let the knotheads
feel like they have scored with the keyboard sniping. Who cares?

I only mentioned you by name as I have read a great deal of your posts,
especially on the wreck. Again, mostly good stuff, but a few hot spots
seem to come up. However, in reading your post, dealing with attorneys
and crappy isps sure puts me on edge.
Good luck with all that.

Robert