Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

Default An agreement should be a freaking AGREEMENT!

"Lesley" wrote in message
ps.com...
Actually, just as the 'man' said (the one who called me an ignorant
bitch), I'm pretty much just venting here;

You must understand that Dan C is just a boy who is left alone a lot by his
strolling mommy ...

wasn't looking for legal
advice because I know there's no way to deal within the legal system
with this kind of guy.

Legally, you are screwed. You can get a judgement in small claims, but it
is only good for toilet paper and fire starter.

I also wanted to hear what people had to say
about paying up front.

I am mixed up. Is this man a CONTRACTOR? If so, you should have recourse
through your own state's agencies. What he is doing is illegal. In our
state, this would be a felony.

Some of you say I should expect to do it, some
of you insist it shouldn't be necessary.

It's the deal YOU make. If some workman doesn't like your terms, find
another.

The two contractors I've used
successfully for a number of jobs only asked for anything up front when
one of them had to buy a chain link gate and a storm door that I asked
him to install.

See. Every deal and workman is different.

He asked me to pay for those up front, which I happily
did. My other contractor wouldn't even take payment right after he
finished the job--he insisted on sending me a bill and having me pay
the bill!

Now, that man is a real contractor. Invoicing you, having a check from you
as proof of payment.

Still, I understand the concept of paying up front as a good faith
gesture.

No, it's not good faith. It's some slimeball whispering in your ear, "Trust
me."

It's just that I don't seem to be getting any such gestures
back from these guys who insist on getting paid up front.

Probably for every good contractor out there who insists on money up
front, there is one who doesn't. I just have to find those. I don't
mind paying for jobs up front when specific materials are involved, but
when it's just labor (or substantially labor), what about THEM trusting
ME as a gesture of good faith for a change?!?

Best,

Lesley

Ask the men for their licenses, and for their insurance company to mail you
DIRECT a copy of their liability insurance and worker's comp. That will
separate the real contractors from the slimeballs.

You still call these men contractors, and some of them are not. A real
contractor has licenses. He has insurance. He is bonded to finish the job.
A real contractor will whip these out or have their insurance companies mail
you certificates. DO NOT accept any insurance certificate they provide,
only those mailed DIRECTLY to you. Insurance certs are easily created or
copied. All the others are slimeballs who are at the same time are
whispering, "Trust me", and sliding their hand down your pants.

Steve, an ex steel erection contractor in the State of Nevada