Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

Default An agreement should be a freaking AGREEMENT!/claification

I need some verification here.

Is this man a contractor or just a snow shoveler?

If this man is a contractor, the OP probably has recourse through agencies
in their own state. My state considers it a felony to contract without a
license, and they actively and vigorously pursue people who violate that
law.

Or, was this person just some rummie who was hired to shovel snow? If that
is the case, agreements are worth the paper they're written on. He said,
she said. Small claims court? Well, did you get it in writing? Did you
get a receipt/cancelled check? If you get a judgement, do you have a bank
account number that they can get it from? You can win a case, but never get
paid.

Sounds like a lesson learned about being stupid with money and hiring
someone to do work.

Paying in advance before the work is done!

I only know one type of workman who charges like that on a regular basis.

Steve