Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default V Belt or Roller Chain?

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:52:10 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

I plan on buying a "Voltage Master" 5 KW generator (3600 RPM) that I will
power from my tractor front PTO. I would like to run the tractor at about
1600 RPM so will have to "gear up" by about 2.25/1. Question is, should I
use a V belt or roller chain?? I suppose either would work but each has
advantages and I wonder what would be best overall.

BTW, the no-name 6 KW diesel gen sets at the auction I was looking at went
for $1,200 so I passed.

TIA for any suggestions.

Laurie Forbes

Greetings Laurie,
What a coincidence. I was just reading an engineering kinetics book.
Especially the parts about chains and belts. From what I read it
appears that toothed belt drive is the best. Next, for quietness is
vee belts. But best for effiency would be chain. If I did it the
toothed belt drive would be my choice followed by vee belts.
ERS