Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred R

Default V Belt or Roller Chain?

Laurie Forbes wrote:

would a single B belt be sufficient or would a double be requried
(the only possible downside I see to belt(s) would be slippage or breakage)?

Laurie,
A single belt would carry the load just fine. I suggested a double just
to add V-suspenders to the V-belt, keeping you running in case one
breaks. They are very commonly used in machinery like combines, so you
can save some money by scavenging the pulleys, otherwise rather pricey.
Single pulleys are available in hardware stores and are inexpensive.
Really cheap ones are to be avoided as they will likely be unbalanced or
not actually round.

BTW - slippage capability is *good* for protecting more expensive parts
if something jams, plus the copious smoke makes a marvelous multisensory
warning signal!

--
Fred R