Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default An agreement should be a freaking AGREEMENT!

"rider89" wrote

I see this statement made pretty often, but I frankly don't understand it.
I think it's kind of an urban myth
that the customer "should" pay anything up front.
I've been using all the usual subs for 30 years in doing full property
rehabs and development
and I've never had to pay anything up front. In cases of very high
material cost, I have a few times paid for
the material once on my property.
In this area, contractors can cover their risk with property liens.
In terms of reputable contractors, I have never even had one ask for
upfront money.
bill

rant on. And not necessarily aimed at you

So you are saying I should get NO money up front, show up at someone's house
with $3500 worth of equipment, install it, get it up and running and then I
am supposed to sit back and wait for the customer to pay me when they feel
like it? I know of VERY FEW companies that will do that.

We write up a proposal/contract (and, yes, with all of the fine print and
legal mumbo-jumbo) that requires a signature and 1/3 down in order to even
ORDER the equipment for the job. Then the balance is to be paid according to
their credit history with us. They may get billed for the balance, they may
have to pay it on the spot, or sometimes we spread the balance out over 12
months (with no interest. Call us crazy, but we do).

I understand what you are saying. There are plenty of unscrupulous
contractors out there that will either take your money and run OR do a
sub-par job and leave you with a mess. But how many deadbeat customers do
you think are out there??!! I should just take money out of MY pocket, buy
the equipment (and install it) and then HOPE that they will pay me back???
It DOES happen. And don't tell me "Well, companies can write that loss off."
Yeah! I got the money and time to get a lawyer and take someone to court.

We are booked up until the 3rd week in January so we are not hurting for
business. If you want a job done (right now), you'll have to wait AND you
will have to pay me 1/3 up front or you can go somewhere else.

rant off

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

Most contractors require a downpayment before starting a project.