Gunner

Default Logan Lathe Tool Gloat

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:09:18 -0700, Jeff P wrote:

I've been a lurker on this list for a couple of months, and I just
wanted to send out a little tool gloat... the weekend before last I
bought a Logan Lathe for less than the price of a new 9x20 import
lathe, and it's in great condition! I got it for $500. It's the 14"
7500 series, pictured he http://www.lathe.com/catalogs/7500.htm.
Everything runs smooth and is in excellent condition.

It's bigger than I was originally planing on getting, but I'm not
complaining! It was a fair amount of work to get it in the garage,
too. A friend and I put it up on 4x4 "skids" and used a Harbor Freight
come-along to winch it out of a rented trailer. We used stone-age
technology to haul it out, and it worked great.

I bought the lathe from a friend of Gunner's. Gunner set up the deal,
and I want to say thanks, and also to put in a good word! I wouldn't
hesitate to use Gunner to repair any machine tools I had that were
broken, or to buy tools from him. He was helpful and completely
forthright.

There is one other thing, I have a question about and I was hoping
someone would know.... I need to get a 220 outlet set up in the
garage, and I think I'll need a 3-phase converter. I'll have an
electrician put in the 220 outlet, but I'm not sure what to do about
the 3-phase. The lathe has a big electrical panel on the back with a
circuit breaker and some big transformers. I'm not exactly sure what
it's for. Is it a phase converter, or is it jsut part of the lathe?
Does any one have suggestions as to the best way to go? (I have some
pictures, too. Here's one of the inside of the panel:
http://www.geocities.com/webnrrd2k/classic_tan.html).

Jeff, thats just the coolant pump/high/low/forward/reverse relays. You
do need a phase converter. Take a look at the motor data plate and see
what the HP rating is. You can get by with a cheapy PhaseOmatic
converter or take the time and make your own rotary converter from the
various free plans done by many of the gentlemen on this newsgroup. Id
be happy to donate a 3 phase motor of proper horsepower. I can probably
scrounge you up a cabinet, and other Stuff as well.

Be sure to post some pictures of the old girl now that you have it
cleaned up. Sigh..factory fresh ways, with about ZIP wear anyplace on
that machine.

The lathe is usable as it is right now, but I would like swap out the
turret for a regular engine lathe type cross-slide and add a
tailstock.

Actually, Gunner lined up a place that has exactly the tailstock I
need, but it's $300. My wife and I have a kid due any day now, and I
blew all my fun-money on the lathe. Any one know of a tailstock or
cross-slide for a Logan 6500 series lathe going cheap? Maybe I'll just
have to wait and see if it turns up on ebay...

Im still looking for other sources. Oh..btw..did you ask Greer about
chucks? He had some L0 three jaws for around $50 G

Any ways, I just wanted to say thanks again to Gunner, and thanks
again to everyone else who posts to r.c.metalworking!

It was my pleasure putting you and the lathe together. BTW..the seller
has decided to sell that 15" Clausing, for $2500 OBO, if you know anyone
whom wants it. Sure you cant use that Herbert or the Warner Swasey?
Chuckle..as you saw..they are both tooled up to the max and in good
shape.

Respects and regards

Gunner

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty
is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
-- Ben Franklin