Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default A funny story

No.........but some people don't appreciate/understand/deserve quality hand
crafted items. Some people absolutely amaze me........and not in a good way
either! My sympathies. I include a "caution card" with everything I sell
or give away warning that the item be kept out of direct sun light and away
from other sources of heat and light. I caution that the piece is intended
for display only or for dry ingredients like candies or nuts. There is also
a caveat not to wash or soak...........wipe with a damp cloth only. If they
run it through the dishwasher anyway, it's theirs!

Barry

"Alun" wrote in message
My wife sells a lot of my stuff at her workplace to co-workers, and as
it's coming up to Christmas she's on a sales offensive right now.
Someone who had been given a plate I made (about 12", ash with some
lovely swirling olive pieces in it) last year as a wedding present by
her colleagues asked her if I could "take a look at it for her", since
she had (accidentally?) put it in the dishwasher !!! I didn't hold out
much hope, but said to her to bring it in anyway and I'd see what I
could do. Well, the wife has just rung me to let me know that not only
has any semblance of a finish been comprehensively removed (presumably
by the dishwasher episode), but that she apparently uses it every day to
eat her breakfast off of!?! I've no idea what finish I applied at the
time, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't food safe If it's still
possible to get it onto the lathe I'll try and give it another sand, and
put some kind of food safe oil finish on it and give her instructions on
how to look after it, but I'm thinking it's beyond hope.

So, has anyone else had any similar experiences?

--
Alun Saunders