Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Drill Press or Drill/Mill Machine

Why not use a boring setup - and circle cut it out.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner Asch wrote:
On 17 Dec 2005 09:19:32 -0800, wrote:

Since there are no places near me that sell used machines of the type I
need, it looks as though I'll have to gamble on ordering something new
over the internet.

At the most extreme, I'll need to be able to drill 1-1/2" holes through
1/4" thick stainless steel, space and weight are a big issue, to the
best of my abilities I've narrowed the choices down to a Grizzly G7943
drill press and a Mini Mill/Drill(if I can find a suitable one).

Since I'll need to make parts of various shapes and sizes I thought
that a mill/drill might be a plausible option. But I've discovered that
there may be books that show how to do milling on a drill press with
the proper jigs and attachments, so I may just stick with that idea.

Is there anyone here that has had a lot of experience with using a
drill press as a milling machine? If so, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren..to drill or saw a hole that big in Stainless, takes a solid
heavy machine. You need a lot of downward pressure to cut/drill
stainless, else it work hardens in a heartbeat. Im not sure there is
ANY mill/drill out there that is capable of doing this on any regular
basis.

Id even think hard about doing this on a Bridgeport, unless you use a
hole saw.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner