Ron Thompson

Default Quick change tool post question

With the wedge style, the
handle locks the holders in about the same position whether using it on
the turning or the boring dovetail. With the piston style, the arm has
to swing through about 90 degrees -- plus or minus a bit more depending
on tolerance of the holders. This can mean that with one position the
lever is interfering with the tailstock, or with the other position, the
lever is in danger of impacting the chuck.

I was fortunate to be able to use several of both types at school. I prefer
the piston style. I have had the wedge style stick and be difficult to
release.
As to the handle being in the way in some positions, we had this problem. I
remedied it by disassembling the post and mounting the cam in a dividing
head, drilling and tapping 2 more holes for the handle. Now it can be put in
the one that suits it best on that machine. The hardest part was figuring
out how to get it apart.

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast