Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

Default does the freq. counter contribute anything in computer motherboard repair services?

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

"computer" wrote in message ...
http://www.qsl.net/om3cph/counter/lcd/lcd.html

does it has any good in computer motherboard repair services?

Seldom, if ever.

Only once in about 20 years have I used a frequency counter to fix a
computer. My first IBM clone, a Columbia XT-compatible, would
intermittently fail to boot up from a cold start. After several trips to
the vendor I bought it from, I finally diagnosed the problem myself. I
checked the 4.77 Mhz clock oscillator; it was reading about 4.768 Mhz.
Turned out that the oscillator trimmer capacitor had never been set at the
factory, and was so far off that the oscillator wasn't starting reliably.
Setting the clock to 4.770000 Mhz solved the problem. It never failed to
boot after that.
Cheers!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in