Posted to sci.electronics.repair
computer

Default does the freq. counter contribute anything in computer motherboard repair services?

http://www.qsl.net/om3cph/counter/lcd/lcd.html

does it has any good in computer motherboard repair services?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

"computer" wrote in message ...
http://www.qsl.net/om3cph/counter/lcd/lcd.html

does it has any good in computer motherboard repair services?

Seldom, if ever.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

"computer" wrote in message ...
http://www.qsl.net/om3cph/counter/lcd/lcd.html

does it has any good in computer motherboard repair services?

Seldom, if ever.

Only once in about 20 years have I used a frequency counter to fix a
computer. My first IBM clone, a Columbia XT-compatible, would
intermittently fail to boot up from a cold start. After several trips to
the vendor I bought it from, I finally diagnosed the problem myself. I
checked the 4.77 Mhz clock oscillator; it was reading about 4.768 Mhz.
Turned out that the oscillator trimmer capacitor had never been set at the
factory, and was so far off that the oscillator wasn't starting reliably.
Setting the clock to 4.770000 Mhz solved the problem. It never failed to
boot after that.
Cheers!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art

Generally the Motherboard is replaced as a service part. Present design of
the Motherboard include multilayers that are extremely delicate to service,
let alone troubleshoot. Requiring special tools, techniques, and very
skilled technicians. The cost and effectiveness of repair is precluded by
the replacment cost with a Motherboard that has many more features and
options than the original. Yes, however, it may require an upgraded
processor and new memory.

"computer" wrote in message ...
http://www.qsl.net/om3cph/counter/lcd/lcd.html

does it has any good in computer motherboard repair services?

Seldom, if ever.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wes.

"computer" wrote in :

http://www.qsl.net/om3cph/counter/lcd/lcd.html

does it has any good in computer motherboard repair services?

Not necessary.

I work on a fair amount of legacy PC based systems that use 386 / 486
Mother Boards that can’t run their custom programs on the newer faster
CPUs. Preventive maintenance usually consists of replacing/rebuilding the
PC Supply every two years. ESR check on the any Mother Board Caps, even
more so on the newer PC based systems with CPU Core voltage supplies on
them.

Testers
Field work with DMM, ESR meter (CRO in workshop)

Parts for testing and trouble shooting;
Assorted range of Memory sticks
Assorted range of older CPU chips 386/486/P1
Spare PC SMPS
Spare ISA Cards IDE, I/O & Video
Spare PCI Cards “ditto”
Small size HDD’s

I’m experimenting with CF IDE drives for some of the older equipment now.
I use Dolly to make images of the custom HDD systems (non-DOS). Will rat
any older PC's I come across for working parts.

Wes.