Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
LowEnergyParticle

Default V Belt or Roller Chain?

Laurie Forbes wrote:
I plan on buying a "Voltage Master" 5 KW generator (3600 RPM) that I will
power from my tractor front PTO. I would like to run the tractor at about
1600 RPM so will have to "gear up" by about 2.25/1. Question is, should I
use a V belt or roller chain?? I suppose either would work but each has
advantages and I wonder what would be best overall.

A couple votes against roller chain:
1. They're loud.
2. They need lubrication.
3. For relatively high speed applications like what you're doing, I
consider roller chain more dangerous than belting. Low speed apps
(e.g. forklift masts) are fine, but I don't like chain when it's moving
fast because the stuff magnetically attracts human flesh.
4. On a toothed cog, a chain cannot slip. You must have a clutch
elsewhere in the system.
5. Roller chain is more expensive than belting.

Generator sets tend to be so loud that it won't matter, but if you want
to quiet down a belt system further, there's something called a link
belt that runs on most sizes of v-belt pulleys. It is noticably
quieter than v-belts, which are quieter than chains. Here's a
reference to one manufacturer, mostly just to show a pictu

http://www.fennerdrives.com/nutlink_..._supt_home.asp

Hope this helps,
Dave