Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Simplest way to replace the boiler...

Set Square wrote:
PC Paul wrote:

A friend of mine needs her old kitchen wallmounted boiler replacing
on a tight budget...

What's the simplest and/or best way to do it?

She currently has radiators without TRVs, a wall stat, an all-in-one
pumped mixer shower and the aforementioned old-standard (no integral
anything) boiler.

There may not be a solution which simultaneously complies with current
regulations *and* meets your friend's budget constraints!

So let's start with the basics. *Why* does the boiler need to be replaced.
The only compelling reason in my view would be if it was broken and couldn't
be mended through lack of spare parts. Even then, I would question how hard
anyone had looked for spares.

I quite agree, repairing the boiler would be the only low cost
compliant option. Why not tell us more about the boiler.

The next lowest cost option is to fit a new replacement boiler, but its
against regs so no plumber will do it, and youre not allowed to either.
If you replace boiler and get compliant, they'll want to change
everything. Including your HW cylinder. To get your guarantee you'll
also be pressed into forking out excessive money for a pressure flush.

I would avoid a pressurised system if possible. Theyre less reliable
and put a lot more stress on joints, heat exchanger, rads, etc.

NT