Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press or Drill/Mill Machine

Thanks. I'll combine the important parts and reply in one post...

You are in the NYC area, and there a lot of used equipment dealers around there.

There are? Can someone name one?

Buy a used drill press for drilling holes, and a used mill for milling.

Unfortunately space will not allow for that. And anything approaching
200lbs would be too much. :-(

I hope such books do not exist.

Too late. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7569662926

I considered a mini mill but went with what amounts to a Rong Fu 31.

Yeah, I was actually looking at a couple on Ebay. I'd try for this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7572905365, but is
is too heavy, and the seller has zero feedback anyway.

I'd suggest using the Google Groups search:

I've already seen all that. And there was nothing *specific* enough to
clue mee in as far as what machine would meet my needs.

To summarize, if you plan to mill at all, get a mill/drill. I've only been on this group a short while, but I've seen several threads already on this topic and nobody has had anything good to say about using a drill press as a mill. They just aren't made for the lateral loads you'll see.

Yes, I read all that. But I was thinking of using the drill press as a
mill on materials like Delrin and nylon(in addition to the more
conventional drilling of metals, like that stainless steel I
mentioned).

If you're interested in mini-mills, you may want to check out the info available at: http://www.mini-lathe.com

Yeah, I was at http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Main/mini-mill.htm,
and I found little that would let me know if these machines were
powerful enough for my stated purpose.(Drilling a 1-1/2" hole through a
1/4" thick stainless steel).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.