Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Default MR Coffee,(maker)

wendolynny wrote:
Model TFX20 This is the worst coffee maker I have ever owned.I will
never buy a mr coffee product again.
It doesn't just drip it leeks all the time when the pot is pulled away
from the coffee maker Its a mess.
It sweats,spits and is a horrible design. Even the buttons are all
wrong. I can't take it back because I threw out my recipt,thats my
fault, but I am not stuck with it. and I won't even give it away its
so crappy. I will be their worst advertisement. There I
vented!!!!!!!!! I even sent them this note

No, you're wrong there. The worst is the new model Black & Decker
SpaceSaver.

We've had one for years and loved it. But it wore out. So we got the new
model (~$65).

It doesn't have a heating element for the pot; instead the pot is heavily
insulated (about six pounds worth!). So insulated, in fact, that to get
coffee to pour from the pot at a rate faster than one cup in ten minutes,
you have to remove a 4" rubber O-ring from the screw-on lid.

The rectangular resevoir into which you put fresh water has its hole in the
center 5.5 inches from the edge. The kitchen sink faucet extends a fullsome
4" from the edge of the sink. This design flaw can be overcome with a short
length of rubber hose (not supplied).

On the earlier models, there existed a pair of LEDs to tell you the status
of the damn thing, especially ON and AUTO. These lights have been replaced
with an LCD display, dark grey on a light grey background. In 6-point type.
Unreadable, except in bright light. Repeatedly mashing the "Auto" button
doesn't help, because it's a toggle: 1 mash for on, 2 for off, 3 for on, 4
for off, etc. If you can't count, or get unsynchronized, you'll awake in the
cold dawn with an empty pot waiting for you to do something.

Black & Decker DOES have a superior warranty procedure, though. We had the
above pot for about two months. Then it's "on" cycle dropped to about two
minutes - long enough to brew 1/2 pot (you can tell because the resevoir
isn't empty). Called customer service, followed their procedures, and got a
replacement unit at no charge. We've had the replacement about two months.
It now fails in the exact same manner.

Not to worry, B&D's superior customer service is on the case, the "We get
that a lot" division! A third pot is on the way to us as we speak. Can't
wait. I intend to sell it on Ebay.

In the meantime, I'm soldiering on with a $9.95 Mr Coffee machine and a $3
timer from Walmart. Frankly, I can't tell the difference in the output.