Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

Default DC Voltage Recorder Question

In article ,
mm wrote:

istm iirc that if one shorts the red and the green for a little while,
it's possible to "blow a fuse" at the central office. I mean, I don't
know if I blew a fuse or something else, but the line would be almost
dead. No dial tone, just a little faint noise.

No, you don't blow a fuse. The CO switch detects excess current
flowing and takes the line out of service. It checks it every few
seconds, and when it finds that you are back to normal (i.e. open) the
switch restores you to normal service. All automagic.