Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Stonegrift

Default I'm trying to make a turned heated bird bath.

I think teak, cedar or redwood could work but I would suggest looking
into a marine grade expoy finish. That would protect it from the
water, The problem would be that most fo the ones I looked at don't
have a high UV resistance so they would yellow over time.

On 16 Dec 2005 09:42:56 -0800, "BirdOasis" wrote:

I'm new to the group. My name is John Patrick and I sell Heated Bird
Baths online. I have an idea of turning a plater with a rise in the
middle that is just under the hight of the rim.

I can easily put a bird bath deicer on the bottom of the plater to
provide the heat. My concerns are as follows.

How would I attach the heating element. See it he
http://www.farminnovators.com/page9.htm Its the Economical Bird Bath
Deicer.

What wood is best for winter weather? Less likely to crack, keep in
mind it will have a 44 watt heating element to keep the wood and the
water warm even in freezing temperatures.

Will the heat darken the wood?

What would I use to protect the wood from the water without harming the
birds?

Is this even possible?

John Patrick
www.birdoasis.com