Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Default un-kinking a bandsaw blade?

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:29:43 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

If the radius of the kink isn't too sharp, beating it back with a few soft
strokes of a hammer will work. Hang the teeth over the edge of a flat 1" thick
piece of something hard.. like maple. That becomes your anvil. Now you have to
strike the kink across the whole width of the blade at once without striking the
teeth.

Big hits, or little hits? Blacksmith friend of mine if a big proponent
of "hit it many times a little bit", but I can't see that working.

Put a socket, of approximately the same radius as the kink on the bumped out
side of the blade and gently hit it.

Kind of like a bodywork dolly then?

Most bandsaw blade material isn't that
hard, comparatively speaking, in fact, I would try to bend it back by hand first.

As it is, it is worthless, no?

Well, it makes a very rough-sawn appearance to that which I resaw, so if
I were after that effect, I now know how to get it. But, yeah. Thanks!

Dave

As someone pointed out it should self-destruct shortly thereafter anyway
if you bend it back.

Hammering will change the structure (temper) of the metal. So...

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art