Posted to rec.woodworking
saulgoode

Default Wall-Hanging Weight Limit

Larry Bud wrote:
saulgoode wrote:
I want to hang a 130lb object from the wall. It's 30x30, so it'll only
hit 2 studs, but I can get 8 cabinet screws in there. Each screw is
worth +50lbs, but I'm not sure about the two studs holding that kind of
load.

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for that? If need be, I could put a
ledge under the object that will hit three studs for extra support.

What's the object that you want to hang? How about a french cleat?

It's a fish tank, actually, mounted like this:

http://www.wallaquariums.com/

I'm using a flat cleat (w/o the 45deg wedge) 2x4 to mount on the wall.
Depth is 7".

- Saul