Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default First Plane?

Start off with a #5 or #4 1/2. Find an old Stanley in good shape. We
ain't talkin' big bucks. Also get the Taunton Press Mario Rodriguez
video on planes. That will get you started. Learn to tune it so you can
get shavings so thin they have only one side. That feels good.

When you get the urge, and you will, then spring for a fancier, sexier
tool like a Lie-Nielson or Knight. The old Stanley will still serve you
well, and you might get a jointer like a #7 just to show off.

Hear-hear! I entirely agree. I absolutely love all my old Stanleys, and reading
in this ng is why I got into them. They are easy to get in good shape on eBay
and local "used stuff" shoppes. I hate one #6 tho... it's a type 8 that needs a
ton of tuning and fettling, and I paid too much for it. So the best policy is to
get one that "looks really good".

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com