Andy Hall

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:57:32 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:47:21 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

AIUI, standard ISDN2e lines are classified with business service (at
the line rental they charge, I would hope so).

You could get ISDN on residential if you really wanted it. However the
rental was the same but the terms where residental, so slower response
to faults, lower compenstation.

Highway lines can be either residential or business.

With different offerings depending on the srevice. No MSN on Home
Highway for example.

Ah yes, I remember that now - it's been a while since I added the last
one - I remember that being one of the reasons. It's a cost
effective way of having a selection of numbers for business purposes
and also so that the kids can have their own phone numbers.

Also, IIRC, ISDN2e allows things like call divert at the exchange,
which my PABX will do, whereas HH I believe won't. My rationale in
having one line as a Highway line was that you do at least get one
working analogue phone connection for use if the power fails.

There are the cable TV operators, of course, but they seem to be
genetically incapable of providing a reliable telecomms service
especially to businesses.

And only put the cable in where they feel they might get a chance of
any return. *All* of the country has a cable company holding the
franchise for a given area but only the urban/densely populated areas
actually get to see any service.

A couple of years ago there was talk of fibre being laid between here
and Penrith. The cable franchise holder said they would cable the town
for free if the link was provided. Note the town, not the two villages
of Nenthead or Garrigill or all the outlying farms/houses.

It's a pity that Oftel etc. don't put conditions in their licenses
requiring them to provide a more widely available service rather than
cherry picking.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl