Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Default First Plane?

Thanks to all who replied so quickly.
Truth is, I have gotten along without a plane for so long that I'm not
really sure what I need one for. It's sort of like, before I bought my
first computer, I wasn't sure why I needed one. But those who had them
assured me that once I owned one, I'd find all sorts of uses for it and
that I'd never be without one again - and they were right.

Those of you who speak so poetically about the joys of using a good
plane make it sound like some majical experience akin to watching the
sun rise. I want to experience some of that, and find out what I've
been missing.

Right now, I expect a block plane would be more useful to me than any
other, but I wanted to get a reality check before I plunked down the
cash for a Lie-Nelson or even a Knight or Lee Valley.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle