Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Steve Smith

Default EDM

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
.. .

Water as a dielectric won't catch fire, but doesn't carry heat and

swarf as well either.

Well, actually it does conduct heat much better than oil. But you need a
power supply designed for it, and it has its limitations in sinker-type EDM
work. I doubt if you could run a D10 with water...at least, for very long.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed and whoever else wants to chime in,

I'm starting in to make an edm, following this guy's approach:
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks9/edm/
This is really a well thought out book and a nice simple edm design for
the home shop. Not like I have a specific task in mind for it, but it
looks like a fun project.

I have been a bit concerned about the fluid. Since I'm an electroniker,
I have to ask--what kind of power supply works best with water? If you
can, give me the electrical particulars; timing, dutycycle, voltage etc.

Thanks,
Steve