Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default First Plane?

wrote:
The Borg has a Buck brand plane that looks similar to a #5 Stanley. Or
if you would prefer something smaller, a #220 Stanley block plane was
my first plane when I was 11 or 12. They're cheap, but they have
precise adjustment of the cutting iron depth. Should be in the $20 to
$25 range. The block planes can be used with one hand if you don't try
to cut too deep.

I bought that plane and had a negative plane aversion for long after.
It was bowed in the middle of the sole raising the mouth high above the
work and, as a consequence, I could only take too much or not enough
material from the workpiece. I didn't know enough about planes to
correct that, of course.

er
--
email not valid