Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default First Plane?

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK Folks, they say confession is good for the soul.
So I decided to come clean.

I don't own a plane.
There, I said it.
But I don't feel much better.

All this time I've been masquerading as a fairly accomplished
woodworker (to my lay friends anyway) and I don't even own a plane. Oh
I have lots of nice machines. Thickness planer, yes, power plane too,
but not one honest neander plane.

Being self-taught instead of instructed, I have just blundered along,
somehow managing to turn out some stuff that I wasn't ashamed of by
making do with what I had.

I have decided that the woodworking gods must be appeased and they
won't let my skills progress any farther until I have made the
sacrifice and purchased a plane, and learned to tune and use it.

Question is, what should I buy, seeing as how I'm still a virgin
(plane-wise). I'd rather not buy something from the BORG that I'll
outgrow in a year. I don't yet have the skills to really appreciate a
fine piece of equipment, but I'm willing to fork over the dough and
grow into it. I just don't want to blunder into some specialty item
that's not versitile enough.

I highly recommend a Knight Toolworks Plane. Like others have indicated
Steve can assist with the type you should use. I have 3 of his and use the
Smoother a lot. I do not have a problem with burning wood when ripping but
every once in a while there are times when you have a piece of lumber that
burns when you rip it. The smoother cleans that burn up with little effort
and quickly. Drawer sides a smidge too tall? Use the smoother to tweak it.