Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default First Plane?

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't own a plane.
There, I said it.
But I don't feel much better.

Question is, what should I buy, seeing as how I'm still a virgin
(plane-wise). I'd rather not buy something from the BORG that I'll
outgrow in a year.

LV low-angle block plane. It's the best all-round wood trimming device
since the knife. You can even bypass two grades of sandpaper by running it
on the surface of a board.

Could you get by with a Record or Stanley? Perhaps, but the LV is as close
to a sure thing as you can get, and the others are risky at more than half
the price..

Then, depending on your particular type of work, you get what you need.
Smooth, of course is great for flat work, but the turner wants a scrub, and
the guy with a mortising machine needs a shoulder or rabbet block....