Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Default First Plane?

DonkeyHody wrote:
OK Folks, they say confession is good for the soul.
So I decided to come clean.

I don't own a plane.
There, I said it.
But I don't feel much better.

All this time I've been masquerading as a fairly accomplished
woodworker (to my lay friends anyway) and I don't even own a plane. Oh
I have lots of nice machines. Thickness planer, yes, power plane too,
but not one honest neander plane.

Being self-taught instead of instructed, I have just blundered along,
somehow managing to turn out some stuff that I wasn't ashamed of by
making do with what I had.

I have decided that the woodworking gods must be appeased and they
won't let my skills progress any farther until I have made the
sacrifice and purchased a plane, and learned to tune and use it.

Question is, what should I buy, seeing as how I'm still a virgin
(plane-wise). I'd rather not buy something from the BORG that I'll
outgrow in a year. I don't yet have the skills to really appreciate a
fine piece of equipment, but I'm willing to fork over the dough and
grow into it. I just don't want to blunder into some specialty item
that's not versitile enough.

OK, enough grovelling, what say you?

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him."

Pull planes Taiwanese style -- and get their brass hammer..
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41182,41186

These are inexpensive for a set of four and very good. I find them very
fast to adjust -- after some practice.

See Lee Valley Planes here...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n

Many styles. I have tried most and they are all nice.

Note that you can get all the Taiwanese planes for the price of one
metal plane. I have used the planes on all my precision projects and am
very pleased.

We also have the contour planes, the micro planes and a Stanley
smoother, a block plane etc. The metal push-style planes mostly gather
dust now. They do still get used occasionally.

Even a push style plane takes lots of practice... The pull planes take a
bit less. They are _not_ for "hogging off" wood.

You can just search for plane and see all the stuff. Their metal planes
are superb...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/Search...n=a&ap=1#start

I want the "router" plane for inlay, and a plane for M&T work. Metal or
wood. Send a donation. :-)

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art