Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default Jack Plane Flattness. How flat should it be?

"djs" wrote in message
oups.com...
This sounds like a good idea. However, I would like to get a flat
reference surface a little larger than this. The 9x12 could handle my
14 inch number 5 Jack plane, but I will needs something a little larger
for the longer planes. Do you know if these granite surface plates are
actually certified flat to a certain tolerance?

Check the Grizzly catalog. According to the copy, these are flat to plus or
minus .0001". Certified? I don't know. I've got the 9x12 and wish I'd gotten
the 12x18 or 18x24, but the shipping charges are ROUGH! No ledge 18x24 costs
$44.95, with $58 shipping. Add an 18x24 stand, at $49.95, and you add $38 to
shipping.