Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default Jack Plane Flattness. How flat should it be?

First, you need to determine how flat it is. Comparing to your tablesaw top
won't do it. Do you know how flat it is?
"djs" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for some advise on how close to flat a 14 inch jack plane
should be. I picked up a plane yesterday and today I was checking it
out. The first thing I checked was the flatness of the sole relative
to the top of my table saw. There was a slight rock from corner to
corner. I measured this to be about 0.008 of an inch using a feeler
gage. The other thing I noticed is that the middle of the plane had
about a 0.007 inch gap using the feeler gage technique.

Is this plane sole good enough to be used as a scrub plane? It would
seem like it to me, but I am just guessing.

Is it flat enough to be used in less aggressive jack plane
applications? If not, then how flat and how straight should a 14 inch
jack plane's sole be?

I don't have experience using planes or tuning them, but I am willing
to try it.

My options a
1) Use the plane as is.
2) Return it and try to get one that has a flatter sole.
3) Try to flatten the sole.

So what do the experienced woodworkers think? I would appreciate what
ever advice you may have.

Thanks In Advance,

DJS