Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Jack Plane Flattness. How flat should it be?

Bruce Barnett wrote:

David writes:

None of my LV plane's soles are perfectly FLAT. The aren't supposed
to be. In order not to rock, they are deliberately machined ever so
slightly "hollow", by design.

BTW - This style is described in my book that describes how to tune a
Japanese wooden-soled planes.

They sell a special plane (like a scraper plane) just for this
purpose.

Bruce, I don't own, nor have I ever used, a wooden plane. What
advantages and disadvantages do they possess? Except for one tiny
cheapy, all have are the LV planes ductile cast iron planes. (I think
that's the correct description)

The scraper is a bit convex?

Dave