Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Jack Plane Flattness. How flat should it be?

I would manualy flatten it on 100 grit, then 220 grit, then 600 aluminum oxide
wet dry paper made by Norton, the papers glued (3M super 77 spray) to a thick
piece of float glass. The glass, you might find cheaply at a local junk shop like I
did, new it is expensive, but mine is an awesome 3/4" thick. You could also use
an old piece of marble counter top.

Mark the sole with a full length and width squiggle with a permanent marker and
have at it, this is so you can see the details of the hills and valleys, and the
progression of your work.

It takes hours and elbow grease to get it done. But, I have done it with a few Stanley
hand planes, and if you're on a budget or prefer to be, it is well worth it.

Their are several websites that explain how to tune a handplane as well. But once
done, it will work beautifully. "Tuning a --" being the key word idea for 'net
searching.

http://www.amgron.clara.net/index.htm

You can also have the plane refurbed by Mike_In_Katy (Texas). He does new baked-
on japanning, and new totes and knobs in different woods... did an awesome bit of
work on my #8, and new cherry. He does offer a warentee on the japanning.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mike_in_k...od/Default.htm

....hope this helps,

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker