Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

Default ok guys, how is this hand tapper supposed to work???

ok, I fixed it, but a "plain" round wire didn't do the trick - if it
was thick enough to engage the corners, it prevented the holders from
going in - so, I used a very thin spring steel wire (maybe .030 or so)
and made it "wavy" with a small pair of needle nosed pliers, then put
it into the internal grove - the wire was thin enough to let the
corners of the holders pass, but the waves cause enough friction that
the holders are now properly retained.

thanks
bill

On 10 Dec 2005 16:00:45 -0800, "KyMike" wrote:

A plain round wire, yes, and it protrudes out over the corners of the
hex very slightly. As far as I can tell it is about 1/16" diameter.
The fingers resemble 6 flat wheel spokes which overlap each other at
the center of the hex-shaped hole. If you have the ram upside down and
are looking into the end of it you will see these spokes at the bottom
end of the hole. After taking a closer look, they don't seem to have
any springiness to them at all and apparently are there only to block
the upper end of the hole so that the tap holders won't go in too far.
I may be able to get a picture of the hole if it will help, though my
digital camera is not that good with extreme closeups.

Mike

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com