Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default Toilet Bowl Overfilling

You are missing a hose that goes from the blue fill tube to the
white pipe.

I would turn the black/blue assembly clockwise so that the
brass/aluminum rod with the ball on it can travel up and down
smoothly without hitting the white tube. Grasp the brass rod and
bend it down slightly, flush, and watch. If the water is still
coming a bit too high, bend the brass rod down some more. This
allows the black float to lift the arm sooner and shut off the
water.

Hope this helps.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Arthur" wrote in message
Rex wrote:
Does anyone know how to fix this? There is a fill line, but
about 50% of the time the water ontinues until it overflows. I
can stop it by manually pulling up the rod with the black
float.
Does it need new parts or just an adjustment?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...th/bath004.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...th/bath003.jpg

My comment does not relate directly to your problem, which I bet
has been addressed by the other posters, but it also appears,
from your clear photos, that you are missing the little tube
which attaches to the valve body and should be clipped to squirt
into the overflow tube. The water that squirts there helps the
bowl fill up quickly and properly.
-=Art=-