Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chuck Sherwood

Default small mill for home shop

Mike Berger wrote:
I'm looking for a mill for my home shop. I've passed up a few

I advise you to find a nice rockwell vertical mill. They are very
similar in size to the clausing 8520 but they use R8 tooling.
The mill will break down into pieces small enough to move into
the basement by two people with a refrigerator dolly.
Rockwell made a vertical and horizontal mill that look like
twins. They are in fact almost identical except the column on
the horizontal contains the horizonal spindle. It is possible to
find a combo mill. Two mills in one (horizontal and vertical) is
very useful. The only downside is pulling the vertical head off
to put in the overarm. Reguardless it is still a very setup.

My first mill was a jet JMD-18. It was also disassembled and moved
into my basement. It is just as much work to move as the rockwell
vertical mill. This mill drill has a large work envelope which is
the only reason I keep it after buying the rockwell mill.
I would opt for a small knee mill over a mill drill any day!

It is also possbile to move a clausing 12 inch lathe or rockwell
lathe this way. I have helped move both. Both are nice machine.

chuck