Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default small mill for home shop

Richard wrote:

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:27:06 GMT, "EdFielder"
wrote:

Problem with that idea is that if the hardinge is so good, you won't find
one that inexpensive-

Demand for Hardinge is high, therefore, so are prices. They're solid,
they should be, the weight is almost up there with a Bridgeport.

Trying to rig some monster into your basement is an invitation to all sorts
of disasters-

Getting large machines down stairs is hairy at best.

It's only hairy if you don't understand rigging. If you understand what
you're trying to do it's pretty straightforward. The key is to
think/measure/plan several times before ever attempting the actual move.
I've moved a 10,000# shipping container by myself with nothing more than
a high lift jack, some chains/slings/shackles and some small logs.

Advising people
to modify the house, maybe some people don't do math. Spending $5k to
modify the house so you can get a $1200 machine into the basement
somehow doesn't make sense.

We aren't talking a 16,000# VMC here, we're talking a 2,500# or so
Bridgeport knee mill. I don't think I've seen any house that has
sufficient headroom in the basement for a Bridgeport, where rigging one
down into the basement would require and modification to the house.

Then it's probably 3 phase, more expense.

Not really, $20 home built rotary phase converter or $200 VFD if you
want to go all out.

Someday you might want it out, still more expense and if you're
selling the home, (Assuming you own it.), taking the modification out
for the buyer, more expense.

Again no modifications necessary. I take it you're the kind of person
who buys the Volvo because you're afraid of the safety of other cars and
who checks the distance to the hospital before buying a house because
you might need to go there.

You may also be hit by a bus tomorrow and never have to worry about
selling anything. If you worry and procrastinate all the time instead of
just getting the damn tools you need to enjoy yourself you're running
the risk of living an unfulfilled life.

Pete C.

Somehow the logic escapes me. If you
don't own the house, modifying might lead to problems you don't want,
far beyond the cost of getting the machine down.

Rich