Martin Angove

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

In message ,
Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:26:18 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Occasionally a "reset" sent by the 154 (your ISDN is classed as
Business isn't it?) faults operator would sort mine out.

AIUI, standard ISDN2e lines are classified with business service (at
the line rental they charge, I would hope so). Highway lines can be
either residential or business.

Line cards locking up seems a perennial problem. At one time, one or
other of my ISDN circuits would need a reset about once a month.
More recently it hasn't been so bad so I assume they fixed or replaced
them.

Don't know if this is still relevant, but six or seven years ago we
began using a lot of ISDN2 (and later 2e) circuits at the radio station.
Some lines seemed to be very prone to lockup, and at first BT claimed
that it was a problem with an early generation card at their end.
Eventually all the cards were changed/updated but the problem never
completely went away. Later on we started using Cabletel (now NTL) ISDN
where that was available because it was literally half the cost. We had
similar problems there, even though they claimed to be using different
equipment to BT.

We/they traced it to the way the circuits were used. If we had a piece
of ISDN equipment permanently attached and powered up, even if not
actually on-line, everything was (usually) ok, but lines where the
equipment was left powered down for lengths of time or was unplugged for
maybe a fortnight at a time had occasional lockup problems.

Since some of these lines were at sports grounds there was no way we
were going to leave equipment permanently attached. In this case the
solution was to phone a few days before an important match and get
BT/NTL to reboot the card remotely - something they were usually quite
happy to do.

The problem got better, but never disappeared, at least not in my time
there.

Don't know if it's related, but I thought it was a story worth tellig
anyway :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--