Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Default How to stop an HOA from blowing a quater million bucks

Philip Lewis wrote:
"Larry Bud" writes:
The letter states that the board had conferred with several asphalt
contrators who have concluded that the road was "originally installed
an an incorrect pitch with much of the base comprised of grey wet
clay".

Um... there is one solution I havn't seen mentioned.

Were there specs for the original job? Were they met?
Did they include something about doing the job right?
Is the original contractor judgement proof?

(or was the road preexisting to the development.... didn't sound like
it since you said it was only used by your sub.)

The road was part of the development.

I learned a few things tonight after making a bunch of calls. Got in
touch with the only board member who opposed this thing:

1) There is nothing in the by-laws that state they have to call a
special assessment meeting for ANY expense if the money for whatever
they want to spend is in the budget for the next year, provided the
budget goes out at least 30 days before the year end. The budget was
sent out on November 30 (how convenient!). What's really scary about
this provision is that the road could have cost 10 million bucks, and
they could try to pass this off to us without any approval of the
co-owners.

2) A contract has NOT been signed, and the board will have to collect a
certain % of money before the contractor will do the work. I don't yet
know what % that is, but I believe it is over 50%. This gives us who
oppose some time to get a petition going.

3) They waited last year to fix the pot holes that formed to try and
sway people into believing the road was really a piece of ****

4) 3 of the board members live on the road that is to be replaced

5) The quote the contractor came up with is not set in stone, as
there's a provision that he can change the quote based on oil prices,
since asphalt cost goes up as oil goes up. The replacement was
supposed to happen in April, which as we all know, the cost of oil
generally goes up in the spring/summer because of travel.

6) The whole idea came about from the President of the association, and
the VP of the management company.

Can someone tell me what relation a management company has to an
association? IOW, what do they do for us?