Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default cleaning old grinding grit

How about dry ice ?

Thermal expansion (reverse) might pop off the junk. Use eye protection.
I see lots of possible solutions - had to pick one off the wall!

Martin [ about to start on my surface grinders (cleaning) ]

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Grant Erwin wrote:
I rebuilt an old surface grinder once, and now I'm rebuilding a 16" chop
saw. Both emitted copious streams of grinding swarf, both machines had
lots of aluminum castings. I remember struggling mightily to get the
surface grinder clean, but this chop saw is much worse. I am sure it's
the nature of the sparks, they must be much larger, hotter and
"stickier" coming off that 16" wheel at 3450 rpm. At any rate, they're
built up in lots of places and I am wondering if there's any sort of
magical trick to getting off built-up grinding grit off of aluminum
castings.

GWE