Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default cleaning old grinding grit

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:08:20 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I rebuilt an old surface grinder once, and now I'm rebuilding a 16" chop

saw.
Both emitted copious streams of grinding swarf, both machines had lots of
aluminum castings. I remember struggling mightily to get the surface

grinder
clean, but this chop saw is much worse. I am sure it's the nature of the

sparks,
they must be much larger, hotter and "stickier" coming off that 16" wheel

at
3450 rpm. At any rate, they're built up in lots of places and I am

wondering if
there's any sort of magical trick to getting off built-up grinding grit

off of
aluminum castings.

GWE

Steel shot in the blast cabinet. Use with extra care.

Or simply knock off whats in the way with a hammer and chisel..and use
the damned thing.

Or are you pin striping it too?

Gunner

A nice triple wax job when it's all finished will top it off perfectly! g

Harold