Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default cleaning old grinding grit

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:08:20 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I rebuilt an old surface grinder once, and now I'm rebuilding a 16" chop saw.
Both emitted copious streams of grinding swarf, both machines had lots of
aluminum castings. I remember struggling mightily to get the surface grinder
clean, but this chop saw is much worse. I am sure it's the nature of the sparks,
they must be much larger, hotter and "stickier" coming off that 16" wheel at
3450 rpm. At any rate, they're built up in lots of places and I am wondering if
there's any sort of magical trick to getting off built-up grinding grit off of
aluminum castings.

Best I've found is a chipping hammer, or hammer and chisel.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm